Thursday, August 30, 2007

Principal Investigators

Yes, Dr. Sara Trechter. She is also a North American indigenous languages expert, but her specific area is the midwest. She expressed an interest in working on Concow. She's read Ultan's disertation and knows what I'm doing at the Rancheria. Her email is strechter@csuchico.edu and her phone number is 898-5447. Her office hours are MW 12 to 1:40 and her office is #135 in Siskyou Hall (the stubby little building with the giant satelitte dish behind the Library). She may no respond immediately as our next classes will be next Wednesday due to the holiday Monday, but they often answer email quickly. I'd already mentioned you might want to contact her. I'm in her Phonology class.

I will copy the video shortly, I've had an interesting last cuple of days, so am a bit behind.

I went to the Senior Nutrition Center today but missed Vergil Logan. Apparently he's been ill for the last week, so I'm trying to catch him at home by phone first.

The Language question as to whether Concow and Mountain Maidu are in fact separate languages got an interesting responce from Dr Trechter after class today. She noted that the perception of them as separate languages is enough to make one see them that way. After all, just as we still call an Irish Brouge English although it isn't by "linguistic rules" doesn't make it still English to the speaker -- and the reverse applies as well. Besides, as I noted too, -- maybe seeing them as two languages rather than two dialects of one will encourage interest and people will save both. Southern Maidu is CLEARLY separate tho.

About the Nisean published work, it was by Andrew Eatough and published through the University of California Publications in Linguistics, Volume 132, published in 1967 and titled: Central Hill Nisenan Texts with Grammatical Sketch. It was dedicated to Lizzie Enos, and important Niseenan speaking consultant and to RIchard Alan Smith -- one of Bill Shipley's students who did the original study and the disertation on Nisenan, but died before publishing his work. So apparently Eatough did it.

My supervising professor, Dr David Eaton, is very excited that I can be of assistance in your work on the grant and wants me to keep him informed. He also mentioned that if I thought the work was going a little slow on organizing materials we might bring in another intern who was a faster typist than me (I'm far too well known for my slow typing but excellent analysis) so I can concentrate on the actual material organization an assimilation into a usable unit. There are few intership opportunities for cultural anthropology, and several students sometimes need intership units for professional certificates. Good for them, good for the work. If you think this is a good idea, that is. No one is asking yet, but a lot of students are interested in what I'm working on. He also wanted us to work up a list of expectations for this semesters work, as we considered on Tuesday. Something short, he said. BTW, you'll really like him, he's a soft spoken, but incredibly sweet man with one of the sharpest minds I've ever seen, and he's in the company of many other sharp minds who say the same about him. Sara is also terrific, and funny to boot. I have found them both approachable and very easy to work with, as they are helpful whenever possible and just plain nice. Eaton's specialty is Sub-Saharan Africa, and he is fluent in Swahili.

If you can't tell, I'm happy to be back in class! :D The summer was long and difficult.

See you this morning!

Annette

No comments:

Language Bibliography