Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Essential Books, Self-Directed Websites

Hey Julie,

I hope the best health to everyone at Mooretown. I am writing down all my actions on this website. Prior to our phone call last week, I  had contacted linguist-activist "Wayne" from the M.I.T. graduate program in advanced linguistics. As you may or may not recall, I have never held the highest esteem for using cell phones, but this personal choice has greatly limited my options in regard to this project. In any case, I ended up calling this soft-spoken professor from a pay phone. We both laughed at the situation , but he's incredibly light-hearted, and carries himself over the phone as good-natured.(Contrast him to the pretentious DEL Reps from Washington) He's currently working as an adviser to a member from a tribe in Southern CA. I really want to learn the revitalization process from someone who's an expert, but also someone who's sympathetic to the historical context in California. Over the course of our 15-minute conversation, he had asked questions mostly practical in nature, about our current grant; leaving most of the talking to me. I explained our approach as: 1) first shoot for documentation, before moving forward to our final goal of complete revitalization. He "would like to help us out." In any case, in about a month or so, I'd like to send any work produced on this subject. I'll also submit our background experience in linguistics/research to give him an understanding of our level of development. I am seriously considering applying under his leadership as a graduate student.

His two recommendations:
Find this book, study this book, understand this book.

Title
The green book of language revitalization in practice / edited by Leanne Hinton and Ken Hale
Published
San Diego : Academic Press, c2001
Descript'n
xvi, 450 p. : ill. ; 29 cm

Mooretown Rancheria should add a copy to their library, it could be the first starting place for for any tribal council members interested in knowing our influences/ process. Amazon has 1 used copy for $40. I'm checking a copy from the library at Brown. I tried locating you a copy within a 60mile radius, unfortunately Chico State lacks this resource.

And here's the second recommendation, a website publication list:
http://www.ilinative.org/


I'll be reading over the Green Book over the next few days.

No comments:

Language Bibliography